Get the Flash Player to see the slideshow.

Jan 19 2009

Published by at 5:47 pm under IT

Users of S3000 & S5000V/X/S chipsets running on Microsoft Windows Server 2008 will experience “General Access Denied” error when Hyper-V host machine is restarted after Intel IPMI driver installation.

IPMI or “Intelligent Platform Management Interface” is a piece of software that sends status messages from vital system parts also allowing management applications to interact at low level hardware layers for real-time system health checks (yes, also temperatures, fan speeds, voltages, etc.) / configuration changes.

Intel IPMI driver is installed by one of the following products: Intel Active System Console 3.0; Intel Server Management Pack 3.0; Intel One Boot Flash Update Utility 9.7; Intel System Configuration Utility for Windows 5.0.1 & Intel System Event Log Viewer (SEL) 2.0.1.

If you we’re unlucky, like I was, after installing the IPMI driver which is a must for the above Intel applications to function correctly, Hyper-V will be unable to start any of your virtual machines with a “General Access Denied” error.

Adding other virtual machines will also fail with the same error. What is actually happening is that somehow the Intel IPMI driver is messing with the NTFS ACLs of all the virtual HDD (*.VHD) files. Instead of the actual built-in Hyper-V account there are orphan SID entries. Trying to restore the NTFS ACLs to the original state will do no good. Some suggested to grant access to everyone group with full control to the VHD file or even adding the system account under local admin group (trust me, it will not work). Trying to uninstall the Intel IPMI driver and revert back to the IPMI driver provided by default from Microsoft, leads to same Hyper-V error.

From what I’ve seen until now, reinstall of the system is the only viable solution, or, if you have a back-up handy, you’re in luck as the system restore process in Windows 2008 is working like a charm (another reason to keep your boot partition as clean as possible: less to re-install / less to backup).

As far as I know this issue dates back to the introduction of Hyper-V in February 2008. In November 2008, Intel releases a fix for the issue. The problem is briefly described in Intel Technical Advisory 922 (TA-0922-1). A small program “ResetAccess.exe” build by Intel can be executed which resets the NTFS ACLs entry on VHD files. After the program is executed, the server must be restarted. The tool itself can be downloaded directly here.

Intel announced that future release of IPMI driver, scheduled for Q1 2009 will fix interference with Windows 2008 Hyper-V enabled systems / then again, Microsoft is planning for both Windows Server 2008 SP2 & Windows Server 2008 R2 (which will also bundle Hyper-V 2.0 and SCVMMC). I hope Intel & Microsoft will not “patch” each other out.

No related posts.

Related posts brought to you by Yet Another Related Posts Plugin.

10 responses so far

10 Responses to “Intel releases patch for IPMI driver causing conflicts in Microsoft Hyper-V (General Access Denied error)”

1. Jameson 28 Apr 2010 at 7:55 am

stfu intel. you have downed my network and I can’t get my system back up again. Thanks a lot for kicking off my first day back at work like this, really appreciate it. a little warning next time would be nice!!!!

2. Felipaon 26 May 2013 at 7:40 am

Hey there this is kinda of off topic but I was wanting to know if blogs use WYSIWYG
    editors or if you have to manually code with HTML.
    I’m starting a blog soon but have no coding experience so I wanted to get guidance from someone with experience. Any help would be enormously appreciated!

3. Dieta Daneza Originalaon 27 Jun 2013 at 2:08 am

Hello there I am so glad I found your weblog, I really
    found you by accident, while I was researching on Google for something else, Regardless I am
    here now and would just like to say many thanks for a tremendous post and a all round enjoyable
    blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to go through it all at the moment
    but I have saved it and also added in your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read much more, Please do keep up the
    excellent b.

my blog … Dieta Daneza Originala

4. psoriasis and diabeteson 16 Jul 2013 at 7:38 pm

This dose can also be rendered to adolescents and adults are more
    likely to experience more Leann Rimes Psoriasis symptoms than teenagers or adults.

5. googleon 23 Jul 2013 at 8:29 pm

Great website. Plenty of helpful info here. I’m sending it to a few buddies ans additionally sharing in delicious. And certainly, thanks to your effort!

Also visit my web-site :: google

6. party at home businesseson 02 Aug 2013 at 2:29 am

I’m amazed, I must say. Seldom do I encounter a blog that’s equally educative and
    entertaining, and let me tell you, you have hit the nail on
    the head. The issue is something not enough people are speaking intelligently about.

I’m very happy I found this in my hunt for something regarding this.

7. the Tribezon 06 Nov 2013 at 6:13 pm

Excellent blog! Do you have any recommendations for aspiring writers?

I’m hoping to start my own website soon but I’m a little lost
    on everything. Would you propose starting with a free platform like WordPress or go for a paid option?

There are so many choices out there that I’m completely overwhelmed ..
    Any suggestions? Thank you!

Also visit my web-site; the Tribez

8. www.julian-kuiters.id.auon 06 Feb 2014 at 5:14 pm

Oh my goodness! Awesome article dude! Thanks, However I am goinhg
    through difficulties with your RSS. I don’t know the reason why I can’t join it.
    Is there anyone else gettfing thhe same RSS problems?
    Anyone who knows the solution will you kindly respond? Thanx!!

9. Andrewon 14 Feb 2014 at 6:27 pm

Intel no longer offers this download, apparently (DL link above is broken). Only place I could find the “ResetAccess” utility is here:

Yes, it looks if’y, but the site is legitimate.

10. bancuri buneon 04 Mar 2014 at 2:11 pm

salut Sunt atât de încântat ca am gasit site-ul dvs.,
    chiar daca l-am găsit din eroare, în timp ce eu cautam pe Google pentru altceva, Oricum
    eu sunt aici, acum și-ar dori doar să spun multe
    mulțumiri pentru un post remarcabil și frumos de interesant blog (Îmi place,
    de asemenea, tema / proiectul),eu nu am timp pentru a merge prin
    tot saitul, dar am marcat-o si l-am inclus, de asemenea, fluxurile RSS, asa
    ca atunci cand am timp, voi fi înapoi pentru a citi mai mult, vă rugăm să o țineti tot
    asa este o munca fantastica.

Trackback URI | Comments RSS